Wednesday 17 November 2010

Well, it has been a while hasn't it?

Since my last blog I have moved house, which meant learning how to use a washing machine and budgeting to pay bills. I have turned 21, which doesn't make me feel as adult as I expected it too, but it did mean that I could afford my second Mulberry handbag with all of that lovely birthday money. I have also begun my MA in Creative Writing, which makes me feel more grown up than turning 21 did.

As for publications? Well, as of yet I have had no advancements in that particular field. I suppose that makes for a pretty boring blog. The closest that I have come since my last announcement (my forthcoming publication in erbacce magazine) is having been shortlisted for the Rhiannon Evans poetry scholarship. Or at least that would be the case if the scholarship had an official shortlist; I was merely informed by Professor Robert Sheppard that if there was a shortlist then I would have came fifth overall. Admittedly, it doesn't sound as impressive as I type up those facts...

At this very moment I am sitting in the university library. I have just been in the audience of a Q&A session with Adam Marek, a short story writer whose collection has been published by Comma Press. I am missing the reading purely because I need to save the £4 ticket fee for bus journeys to and from work, and for buying stamps. Yes, I am still sending out work. That is the one thing that I am most proud of; since my last blog, I have not given up. I show no signs of stopping. I have yet to be penetrated by the fear of rejection, or "the darkness" as Mr Marek very astutely put it. That's something to be proud of, right?

Leaving before I put too much thought into this...
Samantha Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment